Thursday, July 17, 2008

Week two is nearly over

So week two of teaching is officially over (there is no summer school on Fridays), and I'll admit that it feels good to have the weekend upon us again. I'll admit though, it's kind of bittersweet. Sunday marks that one-month anniversary of our arrival in New York and it has truly flown by.

But the flight of time is a relative experience. I've gotten less sleep on average than I ever have, but my days are filled with more work and challenges than at any time of my life.

I made progress in my teaching this week though. Sure I still haven't gotten all of my students to actively participate in class, but most of them are engaged. And what I find most interesting is the compassion that I have for the kids. Sure they drive me crazy from time to time, but they have become "my students." It's like a sense of ownership has swept over all of us (apparently I'm not the only one that feels the same way about their students). It's hard to explain.

No comments: